Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Under Our Skin

Patti and Rusty Rueff Galleries, Purdue University- October 12, 2016
Hector Canonge and Veronica Pena



This experience was overall very strange for me. I'm not sure if performance art is my thing. I was really distracted by what she was carrying and that it was never shown. It was more interesting for me to hear them talk about their work and the motivation behind it. I loved the video of Veronica Pena's about finding her father. That was emotionally driven and you could tell their was some real intense emotions that she was feeling. Overall, I feel like I was not impressed by Hector Canonge's theatrics. It seemed more natural for Pena. 
I will say that they both showed great restraint as well as tension between them both. Touching but not touching. Intensely staring, connected without touching. There was a lot of passion brought to this performance. I just would like to understand why? Why was there music in only some of it. Why did they smash tomatoes and eat flowers. I wish there was a reason that was obvious behind it all. Even if it is just vaguely obvious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment